GREEN AT WORKTM
As one of North America’s largest owners and managers of commercial real estate, Cadillac Fairview is committed to being “Best in Class”, which is evident through our approach to green initiatives. As a company, we feel it is our obligation to seek out the latest advances in green building design and operation – to lead by example. The successful execution of company-wide green initiatives is being achieved through a detailed, measurable and long-term program called GREEN AT WORK™. The premise of GREEN AT WORK™ is the idea that sustainability is both the right thing to do and the smart thing to do. We realize that our sustainable operations reduce operating costs, earn client loyalty and provide a healthier working environment for us all.
The program itself focuses on five environmental pillars:
- Energy: A key focus is on Energy Conservation and Efficiency and the incorporation of renewable energy sources, with a long term goal of net-zero emissions from buildings.
- Waste Management: Our goal is to generate zero waste by implementing a consistent and dedicated approach to waste diversion and waste minimization.
- Environmental Protection: Our goal is to eliminate adverse impacts at our properties wherever our activities, products and services interact with the environment, while ensuring compliance with governmental regulations.
- Sustainable Procurement: Wherever possible, we will utilize environmentally-friendly products, services and best management practices at all properties.
- Communication: Our comprehensive Green Communication Plan has been designed to inform, engage, educate and share green best practices with our employees and clients so that we can work together to make a difference.
At CF Richmond Centre, we are making our operations sustainable and reducing operation costs by:
- Using a combination of sensor and timer controlled lighting
- Rain water harvesting with increased exterior planters
- Interior and LED light installation
- High efficiency toilets and fixtures in the washrooms
- Improving waste diversion rate by setting a ongoing target of 70%
- Partnering with chopValue to re-purpose chopsticks used at our dining terrace
- Incorporating bees to help avert the decline in honeybee populations as well as the sustainable production of local honey.